Report: Jignyasa 2011
Agastya International Foundation’s Hubli Center conducted Jignyasa, 2011, a Mega Science Expo with a focus to educate and inspire disadvantaged school going children of North Karnataka.
The event took place in Nehru Stadium, Hubli from January 10th to 13th, 2011. the expo was meant to provide a platform for deprived young students to exhibit their creativity and leaning in science through interaction with their peers and teachers. During the expo students got exposed to Agastya’s science/math models and various hands-on activities around the scientific concepts. The expo also focused on facilitating the building of low-cost science models.
- 15 North Karnataka districts were represented
- More than 150 projects selected out of 800 submitted projects were exhibited
- More than 100 Agastya’s science models were displayed and explained by Agastya’s Young Instructor Leaders
- The projects ranged from the basics of physics, chemistry, biology, to science in daily appliances, agriculture, animal husbandry and environmental science
- 25,500 visitors visited the event in four days – 18,000 students and 7,500 teachers, parents and general public
- Interaction programs between scientists and students were conducted
- Panels were hosted by professors and experts from various fields
- Local NGOs exhibited their work to students and visitors
- HDMC Commissioner, Mayor of Dharwad district, DDPI of Dharwad district, Director of Deshpande Foundation were some of the events’ guests.
In addition to this, there was a prize money for the top three science models make by the participating students:
1st Prize – Rolling trophy + Rs15,000 in Cash prize
2nd Prize – Trophy + Rs 7,500 in cash prize.
3rd Prize – Trophy + Rs 5,000 in cash prize.