Anveshana- Science and Engineering Fair
One of our biggest events of the year, Anveshana, culminated in a mega science and engineering fair last month. The idea for Anveshana arose from the need to bridge knowledge gaps between school and higher education, through an integration of ideas and learned scientific concepts. The process allows for engineering college students to mentor students from disadvantaged schools while they plan, design, and execute projects together.
Process of Anveshana (Engineering Fair & Competition)
- Initial Screening of Engineering College Teams: Concept synopses based on social problems and related Engineering solutions are invited from engineering college teams for pre-screening by the jury
- Screening, selection of Synopsis and identifying mentees: Once selected the teams were asked to contact local schools with underprivileged status and to form school student teams to plan, design and make the models, while collaborating and mentoring the high school students
- Model Creation and Quality Check by Agastya team: Students will create knowledge networks between them, their peers and with external resource persons to create conceptual and methodological framework to create the models. Here, Agastya teams along with assigned senior resource persons (senior educators, engineers etc.) will visit the colleges to assist the teams conceptually and in the making of the models while providing inputs including scientific and technological inputs. One of the main reasons for these visits is to assure the quality of the collaboration and teaching-mentoring-learning outcomes
- Conceptual - Technological advice from Agastya: Agastya will also help the teams to establish links between prominent institutions like Indian Institute of Science, Institution of Engineers, Indian Institute Technology etc. – in case they need any technological or conceptual inputs.
- Anveshana Fair begins: The models thus made will be exhibited in Anveshana Engineering fair where the teams would be presenting the same in front of an expert Jury for Judgement. During the fair, students display their research projects, working models and present their findings orally and through written journals to the Jury (mostly a team of scientists and educators). The judging process involves series of interactions on the concepts, methodology and objectives of the projects done by the students
- Delegates attending the fair: After the judging process students from various schools and delegates representing various institutions are also expected to attend the fair. Delegates attending the event will include scientists and educators from large number of institutions across Hyderabad and Karnataka
- Prizes will be awarded at a valedictory function – towards the end of the fair
Visit www.anveshana.org to find out more!